Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Matrimony... [word to Wale]

Context is an important concept. It is especially critical for writers trying to gain an audience - their loyalty and confidence. We have taken many lumps leading up to this moment and we are still six months away from the official "jumping of the broom". This week we wanted to introduce you to our duel editing style. Whenever, the text color remains neutral (greyish-white) that will be Donovan's perspective and if the text color changes (pink) that will become Shari's point-of-view. Interjection may happen, frequently. Don't panic. 

From the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like much is involved. A cake, a dress, a man. But let me tell you, there is much more to it than meets the eye. Does the venue fit our personality? Do I really care about these flowers? How will my pictures look here? 

These are jokes, but spending this kind of money is a very serious matter (skeeeeeeee-wee!). So let me just give a little break down about what we've covered so far:

Budget decided upon
Venue (included catering, reception necessities)
Dress (unaltered with no undergarments)
Bridsmaids selected and invites shipped to them
Groomsmen selected and chain text messaged to them
Bridesmaid dresses picked out and ordered
Bridesmaid shoes picked out and ordered
Groomsman tuxedos picked out and measured
Flowers
Band
Officiant 
Photographer
Wedding website created (www.theknot.com/us/sjdc1003)
Engagement pictures taken
Save the Dates ordered 
Guest list composed
Cakes tasted (not chosen)



I definitely feel like I've gone through more than that but that's the list for the most part. I thought it was important to kind of lay things like this out, especially for future brides, because you have to absolutely know what your getting into, as far as, wedding planning. I have one go-to for you that has made things a lot easier : THEKNOT.COM . My friend Tish introduced me to this site and it has definitely been extremely helpful in the planning process. They even have a calendar feature that keeps you on track with the important deadlines involved. 

For those of you like me who need something tangible, I also suggest a wedding planner book. I bought one from Barnes and Noble  and was also sent one from a friend ("The Very Best Wedding Planner Organizer & Keepsake" - thanks Toni!). Those are great to take to appointments, to make notes, and to have a central location for all of your information (in case you drop your phone in a bowl of Ramen noodles... Not that I know from experience...).

It's also important to have some good cooks in the kitchen. My mother, MOH, bridesmaids, and future grandmother in-law have been integral in my decision-making. Always remember that delegating tasks is OKAY. It's actually necessary in my case because I can work up to 80 hours a week and sometimes there's just no time! I could have gotten a wedding planner but I really wanted to be hands-on - so delegating was my cheaper way of compromising... 

Even though The Knot has been amazing, one thing that we have decided to work on moving forward is including black businesses. With that being said, it is EXTREMELY difficult to find black businesses to support. That is that B.S. we don't like.. Damn! Obviously, this is is a completely different post, but in short - encourage your local/fellow entrepreneurs to invest in a website (even Facebook page WITH photos) or becoming a part of an opportunity like The Knot where their business can be displayed. Help me to help you....

Yeah, what Shari said...

With that, we're off to One Spark Jacksonville! Until next time....

With love,

|Shari & Donovan - 10.3.2015|

Wedding Organizer links:
"Simple Stunning Wedding Organizer" http://amzn.com/1584799021
"The Very Best Wedding Planner Organizer & Keepsake" http://amzn.com/1936061074

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I'm sending to my friends who are newly engaged

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to trying to find black businesses! We have to support our own *insert black power fist here*. People are so quick to assume that because it's black-owned, it's lesser quality when majority of the time it's the exact opposite. I could go on a full rant now but I'll save it for later.

    Also, I'm loving this blog idea. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete